Are you tired of seeing endless “Suggested for You” posts on your Facebook timeline? Don’t worry. We’ve got your back! In this article, we will guide you through turning off suggested posts on Facebook to create a more personalized and clutter-free experience.
Understanding Facebook’s “Suggested for You” Feature
Facebook’s “Suggested for You” feature shows content the platform thinks might interest you based on your preferences, interactions, and the pages you follow. These suggestions can include posts, pages, groups, and ads. However, many users find these suggestions annoying and intrusive.
How does the “Suggested for You” feature work?
Facebook uses complex algorithms to analyze your activity, such as the pages you like, the content you engage with, and your general browsing habits. Based on this data, Facebook generates suggestions for content that it thinks you’ll be interested in.
How to Turn Off Suggested Posts on Facebook
Follow these steps to turn off the “Suggested for You” feature on Facebook:
Adjust Ad Settings from a Desktop Browser:
- Log in to your Facebook account.
- Click on the down arrow at the top-right corner of the page and select “Settings & Privacy.”
- Click on “Settings.”
- On the left-hand side of the page, click on “Ads.”
- Click on “Ad Settings.”
- Turn off “Ads based on data from partners.”
- Turn off “Ads based on your activity on Facebook Company Products that you see elsewhere.”
- Turn off “Ads that include your social actions.”
- Turn off “Ads based on your use of websites and apps off Facebook.”
- Turn off “Ads based on your activity on websites and apps off Facebook.”
- Turn off “Ads based on your general location.”
- Turn off “Ads based on your device’s precise location.”
Adjust Ad Settings from the Facebook Mobile App:
- Open the Facebook app on your mobile device.
- Tap on the three horizontal lines (Menu) in the bottom-right corner (iOS) or top-right corner (Android).
- Scroll down and tap on “Settings & Privacy.”
- Tap on “Settings.”
- Scroll down to the “Ads” section and tap on “Ad Preferences.”
- Tap on “Ad Settings.”
- Turn off all the settings mentioned in the desktop browser steps above.
Customizing Your Facebook Experience
Although turning off ad settings can help reduce the number of suggested posts you see, you can also tailor your Facebook experience by:
1. Unfollowing pages, groups, or people irrelevant to you anymore. To do this, visit their profile, hover over the “Following” button, and click “Unfollow.”
2. Using the “See First” feature to prioritize content from specific pages or people. Visit their profile, click the “Following” button, and select “See First.”
3. Utilizing the “Snooze” option to mute content from a specific source for 30 days temporarily. Click on the three dots at the top-right corner of a post, and select “Snooze [Page/Person] for 30 days.”
4. Adjust your “News Feed Preferences” to control the type of content on your timeline. Click on the down arrow at the top-right corner of the desktop site or the three horizontal lines on the mobile app, and select “News Feed Preferences.”
Alternative Methods to Avoid Suggested Content
If you’re still seeing suggested posts on your timeline after adjusting your ad settings, you can try these alternative methods:
Use FB (FluffBusting) Purity:
FB Purity is a browser extension that allows you to customize your Facebook experience by filtering unwanted content. It’s available for Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and other browsers. Visit the FB Purity website to download and install the extension.
Once installed, you can configure FB Purity’s settings to hide suggested posts and other types of content you don’t want to see.
Don’t Use Third-Party Extensions:
It’s worth noting that using third-party extensions like FB Purity might violate Facebook’s terms of service. Use them at your own risk.
Additional Tips for Optimizing Your Facebook Experience
Besides turning off suggested posts on Facebook, here are some extra tips to help you optimize your Facebook experience and tailor your timeline to your preferences:
- Review your “Likes” and “Follows”: Over time, you may have liked or followed pages that no longer interest you. Regularly reviewing and unfollowing pages that no longer align with your interests will help declutter your feed.
- Limit notifications: By adjusting your notification settings, you can reduce the number of messages you receive from Facebook. Go to your “Settings” and then “Notifications” to customize which types of news you want to receive.
- Organize your friends into lists: Create custom friends lists to filter your News Feed by specific groups of people. This can help you prioritize content from close friends or family members.
- Utilize the “Save” feature: Save interesting articles, videos, or posts to view later by clicking the three dots at the top-right corner of a bar and selecting “Save post.”
- Report inappropriate content: If you encounter range that violates Facebook’s community guidelines, report it by clicking on the three dots at the top-right corner of a post and selecting “Find support or report post.”
With these additional tips, you can customize your Facebook experience and make it more enjoyable.
Remember, by adjusting your Facebook settings and implementing these additional tips, you can create a more enjoyable and personalized experience on the platform.
Following the steps outlined in this comprehensive guide, you can turn off suggested posts on Facebook and create a more personalized, clutter-free experience. Remember to customize your Facebook experience and consider using alternative methods if necessary. Happy browsing!
What is the “Suggested for You” feature on Facebook?
The “Suggested for You” feature on Facebook is an algorithm-driven system that shows you content you might be interested in based on your preferences, interactions, and the pages you follow. These suggestions can include posts, pages, groups, and ads.
How do I turn off suggested posts on Facebook?
You need to adjust your ad settings to turn off suggested posts on Facebook. Follow the steps in Section 2 of this article for desktop and mobile devices.
Can I customize my Facebook experience to see more relevant content?
You can customize your Facebook experience by unfollowing irrelevant pages or people, using the “See First” feature to prioritize content, snoozing specific sources, and adjusting your “News Feed Preferences.”
Why am I still seeing suggested posts after turning off ad settings?
Although adjusting your ad settings can help reduce the number of suggested posts, it may not eliminate them. You can try alternative methods, such as using FB Purity or customizing your Facebook experience, to further reduce recommended content.
Is it safe to use third-party extensions like FB Purity?
Using third-party extensions like FB Purity might violate Facebook’s terms of service, so use them at your own risk. Additionally, download attachments from reputable sources and check user reviews to ensure their legitimacy and safety.