If you’re an Apple Music user, you may have come across a little star icon next to certain songs in the app. This can be quite puzzling for many users, especially if you’re new to the platform. In this comprehensive article, we’ll explore the meaning of the star on Apple Music and provide helpful tips to better understand the app’s features. As a tech noob, you can rely on this guide to help you navigate the world of Apple Music with ease.
The Meaning of the Star on Apple Music
The star icon on Apple Music is an indicator of popularity. It is used to highlight the most popular tracks on an album, making it easier for users to identify hit songs. The star doesn’t necessarily mean the track is an Atmos song, but rather it signifies that the song has received a significant number of plays, making it a standout track on the album.
How Songs Get the Star
A song receives a star on Apple Music based on the number of plays it has accumulated. Apple doesn’t disclose the exact number of plays required for a song to earn the star, but it’s safe to assume that it’s a substantial figure. This allows users to quickly identify popular songs on an album, helping them discover new music and recognize hit tracks.
Other Symbols in Apple Music
In addition to the star icon, there are other symbols you may encounter on Apple Music. Some of the most common symbols include:
- The “E” symbol: This indicates that the song contains explicit content and may not be suitable for all audiences.
- The infinity symbol: This represents that the song is available for offline play, meaning you can download the track and listen to it without an internet connection.
- The cloud icon: This denotes that the song is stored in your iCloud Music Library, allowing you to access the track on any device with Apple Music.
How to Star Songs on Apple Music
Although the star icon is automatically assigned by Apple Music based on a song’s popularity, users can also “star” or “rate” songs in their library. Here’s how to do it:
- Open the Apple Music app on your device.
- Find the song you want to rate in your library.
- Tap and hold the song until a menu appears.
- Select “Rate Song” from the menu.
- Choose the number of stars you want to give the song (1 to 5 stars).
Note that your personal star ratings will not impact the overall popularity of the song on Apple Music, nor will it influence the star icon assigned by Apple Music.
Disabling Restrictions on Apple Music
Some users may want to disable certain restrictions on Apple Music, such as explicit content filtering. To do this, follow the steps below:
- Open the “Settings” app on your iOS device.
- Scroll down and tap on “Screen Time.”
- Tap on “Content & Privacy Restrictions.”
- Enter your Screen Time passcode if prompted.
- Tap on “Content Restrictions.”
- Scroll down to the “Music, Podcasts & News” section and tap on it.
- Choose “Explicit” to allow explicit content or “Clean” to restrict explicit content.
After making the desired changes, the restrictions on Apple Music will be adjusted accordingly.
Frequently Asked Questions
What does the star mean on Apple Music?
The star on Apple Music indicates that a song is popular, marking it as one of the most-played tracks on an album. The star helps users identify hit songs quickly and discover new music.
Currently, there’s no option to hide the star icon on Apple Music. The star serves as a useful tool for users to recognize popular songs and discover new tracks.
How can I rate music on Apple Music?
To rate a song on Apple Music, tap and hold the song in your library until a menu appears, then select “Rate Song” and choose the number of stars you want to give the song (1 to 5 stars). Keep in mind that your personal ratings do not affect the overall popularity of the song or the star icon assigned by Apple Music.
Is Apple Music better than Spotify?
This is a matter of personal preference. Both Apple Music and Spotify have their unique features and advantages. Some users prefer Apple Music for its integration with Apple devices and exclusive content, while others prefer Spotify for its personalized playlists and social features. Ultimately, it depends on your individual needs and preferences.
What does the E on Apple Music mean?
The “E” symbol on Apple Music signifies that a song contains explicit content, which may not be suitable for all audiences. It serves as a warning for users who may want to avoid explicit language or themes in their music.