Struggling with “why can’t I delete apps on my iPhone” issue? In this comprehensive guide, we’ll walk you through the top solutions to help you solve this problem and get your iPhone back in control. Read on!
Check if “Offload Unused Apps” is Enabled
The first thing to check is if “Offload Unused Apps” is enabled. This feature removes apps that you haven’t used for a while but keeps their data intact. If this setting is turned on, you might not be able to delete the app directly.
- Go to Settings > General > iPhone Storage
- Locate and tap on “Offload Unused Apps”
- Toggle the switch off if it’s enabled
Inspect Restrictions in Screen Time Settings
Another possible reason you can’t delete apps on your iPhone is due to restrictions in Screen Time settings. You’ll need to disable this feature to regain control over app deletion.
- Open Settings > Screen Time
- Tap on “Content & Privacy Restrictions”
- Tap on “iTunes & App Store Purchases”
- Select “Deleting Apps” and choose “Allow”
Restart Your iPhone
Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve issues like not being able to delete apps. Give it a try before moving on to other solutions.
- Press and hold the power button (side button or Sleep/Wake button) until the “slide to power off” slider appears
- Swipe the slider to turn off your iPhone
- Wait for a few seconds, then press and hold the power button again until the Apple logo appears
Update Your iPhone’s Software
An outdated iOS version might cause issues with app deletion. Ensure your iPhone’s software is up to date by following these steps:
- Go to Settings > General > Software Update
- Wait for the update check to finish. If an update is available, tap “Download and Install”
Delete Apps from iPhone Storage Settings
You can also try deleting apps from the iPhone Storage settings menu. This method allows you to remove apps that might not be visible on the homescreen.
- Open Settings > General > iPhone Storage
- Scroll down to find the app you want to delete
- Tap on the app and select “Delete App” to remove it
Adjust 3D Touch or Haptic Touch Sensitivity
If you have an iPhone with 3D Touch or Haptic Touch, the sensitivity settings might be causing issues when trying to delete apps. Adjust the settings to avoid accidentally triggering the touch menu instead of app deletion.
- Go to Settings > Accessibility
- For 3D Touch, tap “Touch” > “3D & Haptic Touch”. For Haptic Touch, tap “Touch” > “Haptic Touch”
- Adjust the sensitivity slider to a more suitable level
Cancel App Downloads
If you’re trying to delete an app that’s still downloading or updating, you’ll need to cancel the download first.
- Locate the app on your home screen
- Tap and hold the app icon until a context menu appears
- Select “Cancel Download” or “Cancel Update”
Sign Out and Back Into Your Apple ID
Signing out and back into your Apple ID can help resolve issues with app deletion.
- Go to Settings and tap on your name at the top
- Scroll down and tap “Sign Out”
- Enter your Apple ID password and tap “Turn Off”
- Sign back in with your Apple ID
Reset All Settings
If none of the above solutions work, you can try resetting all settings on your iPhone. This will not delete your data or apps but will revert all settings to their default values.
- Open Settings > General > Reset
- Tap “Reset All Settings” and confirm
There are several reasons why you might not be able to delete apps on your iPhone, such as Screen Time restrictions, 3D Touch or Haptic Touch sensitivity issues, or incomplete downloads. By following the steps and solutions outlined in this article, you should be able to successfully delete apps from your iPhone and keep your device organized.
FAQs on Unable to Delete Apps on iPhone
Why can’t I delete some apps on my iPhone?
Some pre-installed Apple apps cannot be deleted, like Settings, Messages, and Phone. Other apps might be restricted due to Screen Time settings or an ongoing download.
Can I delete an app and keep its data?
Yes, you can use the “Offload Unused Apps” feature to remove an app while keeping its data. When you reinstall the app, your data will still be available.
Why can’t I delete apps on my iPhone after updating to a new iOS version?
If you recently updated your iPhone’s iOS version and can’t delete apps, it could be due to temporary glitches or changed settings. Try restarting your iPhone, adjusting 3D Touch or Haptic Touch sensitivity, or checking Screen Time restrictions.
What should I do if an app is stuck and I can’t delete it?
You can try cancelling the app’s download or update, force restarting your iPhone, or signing out and back into your Apple ID. If none of these solutions work, you may need to reset all settings on your iPhone.
How do I delete apps that aren’t visible on my home screen?
You can delete apps that aren’t visible on your home screen by going to Settings > General > iPhone Storage, finding the app in the list, tapping on it, and selecting “Delete App.”