It’s hard not to notice how mobile games are getting more and more public attention in a good way. In addition, many companies like Blizzard are trying to capture the market with games like Diablo Immortal. All in all, millions of people are playing games on their smartphones every day. While many mobile games have been a huge success, there have also been many failures. We consulted with experts from mobile gaming app development company ilogos and asked their opinion on this canceled Konami game. In this article, we take an in-depth look at one of the most failed mobile games of recent times, Castlevania: Grimoire of Souls, and explain why it should never have been created in the first place.
What is Castlevania: Grimoire of Souls?
Castlevania: Grimoire of Souls is a mobile game developed by Konami that was released in 2019. This is a side-scrolling game that follows the plot of the entire Castlevania series, which has been popular since the 1980s. The game features various characters from the series, including such iconic ones as Alucard (Legends, SOTN), Simon Belmont (CV1), and Maria Renard (ROB, SOTN).
The game was initially released only in Canada. It had a very limited beta release in other countries. However, it received negative reviews from players and critics. So it led to its eventual cancellation.
Why it Shouldn’t Have Been Created
There are several reasons why Castlevania: Grimoire of Souls shouldn’t have been created in the first place.
- Lack of Innovation: Castlevania: Grimoire of Souls failed to bring any new ideas or innovation to the series. Moreover, the most interesting iconic mechanics and gameplay that had already been used in the series for decades was simply ignored. It is no longer metroidvania. In addition, the lack of innovation made the game seem boring and uninteresting to longtime fans of the series, as well as newcomers.
- Poor Execution: One of the main reasons for the game’s failure was its poor execution. The game suffered from various technical issues, including frequent crashes and long loading times. These issues made the game unplayable for many players, leading to a negative experience.
- Mobile Limitations: Mobile games often face limitations in terms of graphics, gameplay mechanics, and overall complexity. Castlevania: Grimoire of Souls failed to take these limitations into account, resulting in a game that was too complex and difficult to play on a mobile device. The game’s developers did not consider that the audience for mobile games usually expects a different type of gaming experience than console games, and the game’s complexity did not match the mobile audience’s needs.
- Poor Marketing: The game’s marketing was also a contributing factor to its failure. Konami did not do enough to promote the game, resulting in low awareness and interest among potential players. With so many mobile games available, marketing is crucial to attracting players, and Konami failed to do so.
- Monetization issues: One of the key features of mobile games is their ability to monetize through microtransactions. However, Castlevania: Grimoire of Souls failed to do so effectively. The game’s monetization model was not well-received, and players found it difficult to progress without spending money. This led to frustration among players and ultimately contributed to the game’s failure.
In conclusion, Castlevania: Grimoire of Souls should not have been created in the first place. It suffered from poor execution, a lack of innovation, and failed to take into account the limitations of mobile devices. These issues, combined with poor marketing and ineffective monetization, led to the game’s eventual failure. Mobile games must be designed with the platform’s limitations and capabilities in mind, and developers must innovate to create unique and engaging experiences for players. Unfortunately, Castlevania: Grimoire of Souls failed to do so, resulting in one of the most failed mobile phone games in recent times.